Roderick Gradidge wrote in 'Streets of Heaven':
Originally Withers designed a stone pulpit on the north of the altar steps in the form of an ambo. This was removed in the re-ordering of the chancel and a very simple and rather temporary-seeming pulpit was made using an open timber frame which was placed further down the church on the south side in the third most westerly arch.
In the late 1960s it was felt by some of the grander members of the congregation that this simple and eccentrically placed pulpit could not be permitted to remain, and so a new pulpit was commissioned and paid for by George Vaizey (the Vaizey arms prominently displayed on the pulpit door).
Unfortunately he turned to Laurence King (1907-81) the prolific post-war church architect for the design. With its enormous armorial panels and its unnecessarily heavy tester, touched about in gold [it] is too large for its position and badly detracts from both Wither's and Goodhart-Rendel's excellent work.